In the middle of the 19th century, the necessity of the funding a charitable institution was felt in the Diocese of Cebu. To this end, the Casa de Caridad, a hospital, was established by His Excellency Romualdo Jimeneo, the Bishop of Cebu. Three women-volunteers under the guidance of Rev. Fr. Fernando de la Canal, C.M. managed the hospital. These women eventually become the first Hermanitas de la Madre de Dios. After the new community was formed, Bishop Benito de Madridejos visited them and saw the opportunities that presented themselves for the benefit of the entire diocese. He proposed for the opening of a school for the girls to be managed by the Hermanitas. Thus, on May 30, 1880, Colegio de la Inmaculada Concepcion came into being. Situated at Martires Street fronting the Colegio Seminario de San Carlos, the Colegio started with 66 young girls. Lessons with special emphasis on Religion, Spanish, Music and Home Arts were offered.
The Colegio was gaining prominence as the first Catholic school for girls in Cebu and the nearby provinces. The students and Hermanitas increased in number each year. Meanwhile, Fr. De la Canal, feeling that his days were numbered, consulted the Hermanitas about their future. In less than five years after communicating this to his Superior, his desire was granted-on January 29, 1895, the incorporation of the Hermanitas with the first Daughter of Charity took place. Since then, the Colegio de la Inmaculada Concepcion has always been managed by these same sisters.